Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tyler Update

Tyler is recovering well. For those that haven't heard, he was diagnosed with a low red blood cell count. It appears he was losing blood due to an injury in his bowels - likely caused by his formula. Since Monday, the doctors have not allowed him to eat - he has only had nutrients through an IV. They've also given him antibiotics to help heal the injury. A few of his IVs have broken. One caused his left hand to swell up and turn red. It was pretty nasty. It looks much better now. I know Jamie took a picture on her cell phone. If we have one on the camera, I'll upload it later.

Today he will finally be put back on formula (a different kind than he had been drinking), but through a feeding tube. It will be a slow process to build him back up so he probably won't be home until next Saturday.

One positive note is that Tyler is doing really well without receiving additional oxygen. His saturation levels are right where the doctors want them to be. There's a chance he may come home without oxygen.

We also want to wish a happy 10th birthday to Brandon. He's growing up so fast. We'll probably be celebrating at the hospital. Hopefully we'll get some pictures of him in the next little while, too.

3 comments:

Zeke said...

What formula was he on, and now what is he on? I wish I were there to look over his charts, but they'd probably call security. Happy Birthday Brandon.

Moffitt Fam said...

pregestimil. i can't remember what te new stuff is called. but it's supposed to be even easier to digest.

Marla said...

Hey Jon!
If you think really hard, you might remember me...;) I just wanted to chime in and say...I've been teaching music to your nieces and talking to Lisa...she shared your story with me...my first baby was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries, and we have been through the long stays at childrens' hospitals (Loma Linda)(5weeks)...my son's name is Daniel and he had open heart surgery when he was two weeks old...so he's got the same scar as Tyler...I know their conditions are different, but there's something about being a parent of a congenital heart baby that makes you a bit more aware of the precious gift of life...and I just wanted to say hello... we have annual check-ups now (instead of every six months, he "passed" that test when he turned five),and he is a healthy six and a half year old--success! I'll be praying for you guys over the next two surgeries...