Thursday, April 9, 2009

RIP Nick Adenhart



Unfortunately, it often takes tragic events to put life in perspective. As an Angels fan, I was very shocked to hear that rookie Nick Adenhart was killed last night by a drunk driver who ran a red light while driving with a suspended license. Adenhart, 22, was the Angels top pitching prospect and had thrown 6 shutout innings against the A's only hours before the accident. I was looking forward to following his bright future. It's a shame that he died because of the someone else's reckless decisions. I wish I could be the prosecutor on that one.

I got the news while I was in the hospital holding Tyler in my arms as he continues to recover from his current setback. Our little Tyler is a constant reminder that life is fragile. I think it's made me a lot more sensitive to the difficulites others are facing. Twice while Tyler was in the ICU I saw parents the moments after they received news that their child had passed away. It's a very sobering experience, espcially when we really don't know how long Tyler's little heart will last. We can't take for granted any moment that we have with him - or with any of our other kids for that matter.

4 comments:

templework said...

gentle ((HUGS)) and lots of prayers for all of you.

Brigette Little said...

Sometimes I wish we didn't have to keep that kind of perspective, but it's wise to do so. Hug all of those sweet kids for us. How is Tyler doing?

karen said...

I know you'd do a great job as prosecutor. It will be interesting to see how the trial goes. I'm so sad for his family and the families of his friends. What a terrible tragedy. I'm so glad Tyler is doing better and that we have him with us. He's a special, sweet little boy.

Zeke said...

I hope you would prosecute the guy the same way you would for a similar accident without a big-name casualty. I know you would because you're an unbiased lawyer. How unbiased would you be if I got arrested for taking a baseball bat to LeBron James' knee? Yeah. . .now the bias is coming out. Go Lakers.